08 June 2010

Gospel Doctrine Teacher

Remember my post a few months back that said I had been released from young womens? Well, I was and they also said I would be given a season of rest. About two months into my rest, I told them I could serve again where they needed me. It felt weird not serving in some capacity in the church.

I was thinking of activities committee, visiting teaching supervisor, or something of that sort. I also just got Catherine in nursery so I was finally able to attend Sunday School and Relief Society for the first time in 18 months. The gospel doctrine class was so wonderful, the two times I went. Now that it is Old Testament I was excited to sit in and learn. (learn being the key word!)

Ha!! I got a call from a bishopric member on Sunday the 23rd of May. He came over and extended the call to me to be a gospel doctrine instructor! What? Really? Me? Are you sure? Were all of my questions I immediately asked of him. It's the Old Testament I told him. Yes, he said, it is. Oh man. I didn't know what to say. I said I would talk it over with Randy since he was out of town and get back to him. I immediately went to my room, shut the door, and knelt and prayed. That was all I could do right then. for some people, teaching gospel doctrine would be a dream calling. it was intimidating to me. Our ward is very mature and wise and older. well, they're wonderful. but, ok. If this is really where they needed me, I will serve.

Now, they needed me to teach that next Sunday!!! holy cow!! Ok, I will serve. it was the sunday I got sustained and taught right after. I was so busy that week reading, studying, reviewing with Randy, and praying. I went to the temple on monday and just prayed like crazy that the spirit would be there for me. I am weak when it comes to lots of gospel knowledge, so i needed him there.

He was! The lesson was on Ruth!! yippee!! i like that book. it went well. now this sunday the lesson is on Saul, Samuel, and David. At least i've had two weeks to prepare!

Wish me luck!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

you are going to be wonderful, don't freak yourself out!

Miss Heather said...

Remember... you used to teach Gospel Doctrine in our singles ward? You'll do great! :)

Melissa said...

You're probably just what the ward needs. You'll make the less knowledgeable people comfortable because of your approachability and the more well-versed folks will be eager to share because they'll sense your willingness to let them contribute.

Plus, you're pretty much awesome.

Perfect.

brooklyn said...

oh this is an intimidating calling - especially old testament. i wish i was still in the ward. i would love to come to your class.

marcikelley said...

You are a brave soul! I'm sure you will be awesome!

Sarah said...

I had no idea! We were sick the first week you taught. Looking forward to this Sunday... I promise to read the lesson and be prepared;)
In Sunday school you can pretty much just send out ideas and let the students teach the class, right? Ha ha, good luck, I'm sure you will be great!!!